Making residents safer and feel safer on our streets is imperative. Yet under Labour, Camden has relegated it to an afterthought.
Thanks to a national government recruitment drive, Camden now has 100 more police officers than it did to just three years ago - but they’re not visible or active enough locally, and we have a plan to change that.
Camden Conservatives will open two new police bases and put more police on local streets.
We’ll make better use of CCTV and use make Camden a burglary-free borough. And we’ll take tough, practical action against violence against women and girls.
Local Conservative councillors will:
- Open two new police bases adjacent to the Royal Free Hospital and Swiss Cottage Library, so police don’t just patrol from bases far away and leave large blind spots to crime.
- Ensure police are deployed across the borough, not just in Camden Town and the West End.
- Make Camden a burglary-free borough by deploying ‘SmartWater’ liquid forensic borough-wide, and making it impossible.
- Make better use of CCTV, including installing more CCTV in crime hotspots and use the council’s CCTV control room to make it cheaper for local businesses to maintain CCTV systems.
- Take a zero-tolerance approach to anti-social tenants, by making it easier to remove anti-social tenants from Camden-owned properties
- Tackle violence against women and girls by requiring all bars to participate in Ask for Angela, and taking nation-leading action against FGM.